Thursday 30 January 2014

San Francisco - History, People and Good Old Fashioned Fun - Part 1

So let's get this out there from the start just in case you do not get the feeling in my blog..............

I LOVE SAN FRANCISCO............ There I said it!

I feel that these blogs on the the USA are gonna take up loads of space so when i think it is needed i'm going to split them into 2 or 3 parts and then at the end i'm also gonna add in a blog of photo's for the particular place. Naughty me, changing already what I said I was going to do. I call it adapting.............

When I originally booked our holiday to the West Coast I'd been excited about the place but as it got nearer, I wasn't looking forward to it as much. I think I was expecting it to be a tad disappointing and I don't know why! I'd booked 4 nights there because I wanted to visit the Historical aspects of San Fran but perhaps I'd thought it would be pretty rubbish. Boy was I wrong.......... Thankfully

So we flew direct to San Fran from Heathrow with United. Sooooo glad I upgraded the seats to Economy Plus else this 6ft 9in, 25 stone frame of mine would have been in trouble. I just can't sleep on an airplane at all and tried numerous times through the flight but to no avail so resigned myself to watching some movies and TV programmes.

Watched a couple of decent movies on the way over.... Here Comes the Boom, Skyfall and Wreck it Ralph. Tried to watch Life of Pi but got bored of that pretty quickly. The wife earned the nickname snoorer the explorer on the way over, it was pretty loud. Surprisingly the food was pretty good but to a salad dodger like me, I even like the most blandless food available!

As with most trips all the anxieties about getting anywhere or lost sometimes engulf you. So it was a relief to get to the hotel after taking the BART from the airport. We were to be staying at the Holiday Inn in the Civic Center part of town. Hotel was lovely but Laura didn't like the area it was in and felt a bit intimidated at times. When I go back again, I'm more than happy to stay there again though I doubt Laura will.

So it was pretty late when we got there so was tired and hungry so did what most British people do and went and found something to eat that we knew. Out the door and across the road to Burger King. Food eat we had a brief walk down Market St but as per what the guides had told us there was a lot of homeless around, many speaking in delirium which I think spooked Laura a bit so she wanted to head back and get some sleep. I popped in the hotel bar for a quick beer and got chatting to the Chinese bar lady, who was very interesting. I'm rubbish with names which is something I need to improve on. Headed back to the room and settled down to watch some WWE and CSI before falling asleep.

Picture above is the Sun going down on first night. Love this picture looking out towards the Bay area!

No comments:

Post a Comment